Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Hairspray!

Go see this movie.

Right now!

Stop reading this and go see Hairspray!

It's hard to believe that it's been nearly 20 years since the original John Waters movie came out.

This one features Alison Janney as Prudence Pingleton, and John Waters has a great cameo as the "flasher who lives next door" in the opening number.

I've had a real soft spot in my heart for Nikki Blonsky (who plays Tracy Turnblad) since I met here last year when she was one of the the grand marshals for LA Gay pride.

She leaned in and whispered to me - totally without guile or ego "doing this makes me feel like I am taking a first step toward my career goal of becoming a gay icon."
Completely startled I responded - "First step honey? it means you've arrived!" She grinned and looked like she was going to burst into tears.

I've loved her madly ever since... Plus - she sings her heart out in this movie!



No comments: