Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Lars and the Real Girl (withTrailer)

This is easily the warmest, most touching movie I've seen all year. Go see this movie, but be prepared - it's not the yuk yuk laff-fest the premise might lead you to expect. I'd describe it as a Capra-esque mash up of Fargo and Mr Deeds goes to Town.

This movie Lars and the Real Girl
seems to me to be a perfect post-modern take on Capra; it's sentimental, sweet, and wry. gently poking fun at peoples expectations of what "normal" is, this is a great holiday season movie. It is, as they say, "life affirming", but minus the spoon feeding of "the message" that often plagues those films.

I was often ridiculed in film school for my deep fondness for Frank Capra. He was too sentimental, too kindly, not ironic or sardonic enough for the post-modern generation.

If you really need sardonic irony, "Lars and the Real Girl" features a blow up "love" doll in nearly every scene to give it the requisite post-punk edge.

Beautifully directed by Craig Gillespie, I'll be surprised if Ryan Gosling doesn't get a best actor nom for this.

View the Lars and the Real Girl - Trailer

No comments: